It’s summer. Officially. I have my air conditioner running and I can’t keep the kids out of water. We’re onto the 3rd outfit for the day for some of them! Really, I just need to invest in some more swim suits.
So with this heat, you need something simple, fast, and tasty for a weeknight meal. Welcome taco triangles with tofu. And if you’re not a tofu fan, then you could leave that out. This might be the most versatile recipe you ever encounter.
Using tortillas of your choice, cut off 3 edges to make a triangle looking shape (I’m well aware of the 6 instead of 3 sides).
Folding two of the corners together to make a pocket, scoop some of your filling into the pocket, then fold the flap down. You shouldn’t have anything falling out.
Holding it closed with one hand, spray the side with folds with a cooking spray or brush with melted butter, then place on your med-high skillet. Spray the top of your triangle as the bottom is cooking. Once the bottom is brown and holding sealed, flip to the other side. If the flaps are having a hard time folding, you’ll need to put some oil or butter in between the folds that aren’t sticking and cook a tad longer.
When you’re done, you’ll have beautiful triangles, easy to eat, easy to clean up, and don’t require an oven or much heat. They are perfect with kids and backyard picnics. My favorite is to have salsa and guacamole on the side to smear on the top as I eat my way around. I made these a long time ago filled with cheese and breaded chicken, but this version is a step up and they tasted great!
- 3 cups black beans, cooked
- 7 ounces tofu, diced
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 1 jalepeno, diced (optional)
- 1/2 cup salsa
- handful of cilantro, chopped
- 2 green onions, thin sliced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 - 2 tsp cumin
- salt to taste
- Combine all ingredients for filling in a bowl. Adjust seasonings to your liking. Other options could be sauteed onions, pepper, zucchini, yellow squash, or sweet potatoes. Cutting three sides off your tortillas, fold two sides into a cup shape, and then fill with the filling, folding down the 3rd flap. Spray with cooking spray or brush with butter and place fold side down on a med-high heated skillet. Lightly spray top side of triangles. When bottoms are brown, flip to brown the top. This cooking process heats up the insides as well. Serve with salsa and guacamole.