This is an awesome cauliflower broccoli slaw. The lemon in it, the peppery flavor. Perfect to feel healthy and add lots of color to the table.
On a side note, today was a birthday party for my 7-year-old and we had a “rocking” time. I think it might be an age thing, but he loves rocks. (That and fossils, maps, globes, compasses, and space pictures). The party was geology themed and was a ton of fun. We made a baking soda and vinegar volcano, had lava cake, and broke geodes. There were quite a few kids here, so we made sure to have a pretty good schedule of events to keep them all busy. This was probably the first birthday party for the kids that I had so planned out and centered around a good theme.
Do you agree? Do you have a 7-year-old that is into the same thing?
I served this slaw at the last Book Club I hosted. We were talking about The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks; a fantastic book if you haven’t read it yet. Next up on our list is The Lost Wife. Anyone read it yet? I have yet to read it, but it looks like a good one.
I made it with raisins instead of currants and didn’t add any sweetener. If it is tasting too dry, add more lemon juice. You’ll feel healthy eating it and hopefully have leftovers for lunch the next day! Let me know how you like it.
- 1/4 head cauliflower, stems removed
- 1/2 head broccoli, stems removed
- 2 carrots
- 1/4 cup sunflower seeds
- 1/4 cup fresh parsely, finely chopped
- 3/4 cup raisins
- zest of 1 lemon
- 1-2 lemon, juiced (to taste)
- 1/4 tsp salt (or more to taste)
- 1/2 tsp pepper (or more to taste)
- Using a food processor, chop the cauliflower until it is in small chunks. Do the same to the broccoli and carrots. (You could chop the broccoli and cauliflower and shred the carrot by hand as well.) Add all to a medium bowl.
- Add sunflower seeds, parsley, and raisins.
- Zest one lemon and add to the salad. Juice that same lemon. Add lemon juice, salt, and pepper. If the salad seems to dry, add more lemon juice and adjust the seasonings to balance the citrus.
- Makes about 4 cups