Besides being vegan and oil free, they are super moist, filling, and fluffy. When I was first coming up with the recipe, the middles would sink and they didn’t seem to last as long, but that’s not the case anymore. You just might eat more than you planned with these.
We just took these on a road trip and they are prefect to make the night before and bring in a large baggie for breakfast snaking. We try to get on the road early at 6am, so it’s nice to have something for breakfast that’s easy to grab and is real food. I made extra so we could share with our family once we arrived at our destination. Still good and I still probably ate the most of them.
I want to try zucchini date, apple cinnamon,blueberry carrot, and carrot raisin ones as well. But for now, I wish I still had some of these hanging around the house. My 5-year-old girly just asked me for some and is wondering why I’m not jumping up to make some. Apparently the kids love them, too.
I want to know what combinations you come up with, let me know!
- 3 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 cup almond meal
- 2 cups oats (rolled or quick)
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/3 cup sugar
- Pinch of salt
- (opt) 2 Tbsp gluten
- 2 flax eggs (2 Tbsp flax meal + 6 Tbsp water)
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 7-8 ripe bananas
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Mix the flour, almond meal, oats, gluten, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, sugar, and salt together. (Optional: add gluten. Added gluten can make them moist and fluffy. This is because of the lower gluten in whole wheat flour compared to white flour. I've had success both ways.)
- Add the wet ingredients and mix well. Mix so the bananas get broken up, but you can leave small chunks. Think somewhere between pea and hazelnut size.
- Spray your regular-sized cupcake pan with cooking spray and spoon in the batter to the top edge of the cups.
- Cook for 18-22 minutes and check with a toothpick inserted in the middle of the muffin, the toothpick should come out with only small crumbles on it. If it's still gooey, cook for another 2 minutes and check again. I have found even without crumbs, they are better when they cook until lightly golden on top. Remove pan from oven when done, remove muffins, and place on cooling rack. Make sure to eat at least one when they are still warm!
- **If making these in mini muffin pans, still fill to the top but cook for 15-17 minutes.